| RSS - Really Simple Syndication|
Release status: new
|Description||RSS feeds are a means where you can subscribe to information and have it delivered to you.|
|Author(s)||Stan Skrabut (skrabutTalk)|
|University of Wyoming, College of Agriculture|
|Last Updated||6 January, 2012|
RSS feeds are a great way to subscribe to news and blog feeds. Instead of going to countless Web sites to see information important to you, the information comes to you. Through the use of an RSS reader, you can collect, organize, and view feeds.
RSS feeds are typically associated with an icon similar to the one above.
RSS will operate on both a Mac or PC, as well as an iPad or mobile phone.
The only equipment needed is a computer, smart phone, or iPod with a Web browser.
Access to RSS feeds is accomplished through a Web-browser. These are the most common browsers:
Common RSS Reader Applications
Here are common RSS Readers:
You can also view your RSS feeds on the iPad with a number of different applications. Here is a list of tools: RSS Readers For The iPad.
Learning resources information
Here are a number of articles and books worth reading on the use of RSS feeds.
Guides and Beginner Instructions
Here are a number of great guides to help you better understand RSS feeds and their capabilities.
- RSS: A Quick Start Guide for Educators (PDF)
- RSS (Really Simple Syndication) Feed
- So, what is RSS all about then?
Here are RSS feed ideas for the business environment.
- 12 Great Ways to Use Your Business Blog’s RSS Feed
- Using RSS Subscription to Grow Your Online Business
- 11 Practical Uses for RSS in Business
- RSS For Business
- RSS Benefits for Businesses, Bloggers and Publishers
Here are a number of great ideas for using RSS feeds in a education environment.
- RSS for Education
- RSS and Education
- RSS Ideas for Educators
- How To Use Delicious To Organize Your Student Life
Miscellaneous RSS Tips
These are tips that did not neatly fit in other places.
- How to use Outlook 2010 as a RSS reader
- Feed43 - Create a RSS feed from any site
- 7 Tools To Make An RSS Feed Of Any Website
- How to Get Your Own YouTube RSS Feed
- Flickr RSS Feed Generator
- How to Embed RSS Feeds into HTML Web Pages – The Easy Way
- Create a Twitter RSS feed for Tweets, Searches, Hashtags, Lists or Favorites
Here are some articles to leverage RSS feeds for non-profit organizations.
- Why Nonprofit Managers Must Use RSS — And How to Start
- Make your nonprofit more effective with RSS aggregation
Here are some articles to put purpose behind your RSS feeds.
Useful RSS Feeds
- U.S. Government RSS Directory
- United States Department of Agriculture - National Institute of Food and Agriculture Newsroom
- United States Environmental Protection Agency News Feeds
Here are tips specific to WordPress.
Here is a collection of videos that will help you understand and use RSS feeds.