Release status: new
|Description||Pinterest is a social bookmarking site that focuses on imagery.|
|Author(s)||Stan Skrabut (skrabutTalk)|
|University of Wyoming, College of Agriculture|
|Last Updated||8 February, 2012|
Pinterest is a social bookmarking site that uses imagery. "Pinterest allows you to organize and share all the beautiful things you find on the web. You can browse pinboards created by other people to discover new things and get inspiration from people who share your interests." 
Within Pinterest, you have boards that are typically devoted to a specific theme. On these boards, you would "pin" an image that you wish to share with others. The image must be available on the Web, and when clicking on an image from your pinboard, you will be taken back to that specific Web site.
Pinterest will operate on both a Mac or PC, as well as an iPad or mobile phone.
The only equipment needed is a computer, smart phone, or iPod with a Web browser.
Access to Pinterest is accomplished through a Pinterest toolbar on a Web-browser. These are the most common browsers:
Pinterest can be reached at the following Website:
You can also access Pinterest on the iPad with the Pinterest application.
Learning resources information
Here are a number of great guides to help you better understand Pinterest and its capabilities.
- Pinterest Help
- Pinterest Guide
- Pinterest: A Beginner’s Guide to the Hot New Social Network
- Pinterest: Everything You Need To Know Is In This Massive Post
- How to Use Pinterest for Your Ecommerce Business
- The Marketer’s Guide to Pinterest
- Everything you need to know about Pinterest
- The Ultimate Pinterest Guide For Photographers
- Pinterest Tips -- A Tutorial Guide for Beginners
- Pinterest: A Beginner's Guide
Here are some tips on how you can leverage Pinterest in a business environment.
- Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Pinterest for Brands
- Pinterest II: Optimizing Content For Pinterest
- Pinterest Part III: Participating on Pinterest as a Brand Curator
- Pinterest Part IV: Making the Most of Pinterest - Tips and Tricks
- 9 Tips: Boost Your Business With Pinterest
- How Pinterest is Becoming the Next Big Thing in Social Media for Business
- 10 tips to get the most out of Pinterest for your business
- 7 Ways to Use Pinterest to Promote Your Business
- 12 Most Smart Business Uses for Pinterest
- How to Use Pinterest for Your Small Business
- 6 Ways Pinterest Can Work for Businesses as a Content Marketing Tool
- Pinterest for Businesses – Beginner’s Guide to Next Big Social Thing
- The Ultimate Guide to Mastering Pinterest for Marketing
Here are some tips on how Pinterest is used in an education environment.
- Four Ways to Use Pinterest in Education
- Pinterest and Education
- In The Pinterest Of Education
- Some thoughts on teaching with Pinterest
- 37 Ways Teachers Should Use Pinterest
- 4 Ways to Use Pinterest for Business
Here are some tips on how Pinterest is used in a non-profit environment.
- 12 ways to use Pinterest for your nonprofit
- HOW TO: Get Your Nonprofit Started on Pinterest
- Steal These 42 Creative Pinterest Ideas for Nonprofits
- How Pinterest can help your animal nonprofit
- Why and How Nonprofits Should Use Pinterest
- Pinterest 101 for Nonprofits: Basic Tips and Guidelines
Here are a number of brands and organizations using Pinterest.
- Pinterest Part V: 100+ Brands on Pinterest
- 30 Inspiring Pinterest Pins for Teachers
- 41 Great Examples of Pinterest Brand Pages
Here are different ideas for using Pinterest.
- 12 Most Poppin’ Ways to Get Started on @Pinterest
- 5 Ways to Use Pinterest as a Community Building Tool
- 10 Pinterest Ideas With SEO Benefits
- Drumming up Pinterest in your brand, business, school, or cause: 9 smart steps
- The Ultimate Guide for Using Pinterest for Your Etsy Shop
Here are a few video tutorials to get you started.